Cereals and Pulses occupy a major portion of the food pyramid. They provide the body with a powerful mixture of protective substances including fibre, antioxidant, vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients, and help ward off many diseases.
Typical whole grain food is
- Low in saturated fat but is a source of polyunsaturated fats that has essential fats.
- High in both soluble and insoluble fibre and resistant starch
- An excellent source of carbohydrates
- A significant source of protein
- A good Source of B group vitamins, including folate
- A good source of many minerals, such as iron, magnesium, copper, phosphorus and zinc
- A good source of antioxidants and phytochemicals.
- It can help lower blood cholesterol levels.
Now a days consumptions of grains has greatly reduced. Our elders used to consume various grains in their daily life that helped them stay healthy.